Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Love and knowledge

I went to seminary for five years. It was some of the most challenging times in my life. I honestly remember being repulsed by parts of the academic community. I had such a hard time connecting with alot of my classmates, and at times I felt like my seminary experience was not helping me become more like Christ or adding to my love for people... especially those who don't know Christ. I recently came across this verse in I Corinthains 3:1-2, "But while knowledge makes us fell important, it is love that strengthens the church. Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn't really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes." Wow!! That really struck me when I began meditating on this verse in a fresh way. Last week as I was setting up my library it was almost amazing to look at how many pages of information I've devoured over the last 5 years going to school and leading a church. I began to think about this question, "how much of this knowledge is leading me towards loving God and loving people with a deeper level of zeal?" It is such a tendency when we get information to feel like we know the answers. Some of the most arrogent people in the world live in academia and at the same time some of these people are supposed to represent Christ and his gospel message. Now, I don't want you to hear me incorrectly. I want to grow in my knowledge and understanding of God, life, family, leadership, etc... But now I am asking God to use information and knowledge to work on my heart instead of my head. I want to become more tendered to his Spirit and more compasssionate towards people as I study and grow. I want to learn helpful information and grow in humility and teachability all at the same time. I want to fall in love with Christ over and over again! I want to be more consumed with him now than at any point in the journey. I want my love for people and for my family to be white hot! I pray that God uses his truths to shape my heart and allow me to become more and more like Jesus and do a better job of representing him and his gospel message. I want to grow in my love quotient in order to build up his church and reach people who are far from God!