Thursday, August 13, 2009

Where is my boast?

2 Corinthians 10:17-18
"But, 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.' For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends."

I often have an internal battle when it comes to wanting to boast in my work and what I can produce with my hands. Let's just be real honest, I think this stems from insecurity in our hearts. I want people to think I am bigger than I am, more effective than I am or a better leader than I am. Unfortunately when I boast in myself I am taking away praise for God and revealing my immaturity of character. When God moves through my life and impacts others, I should let my boast be in what he has done through me rather than what I can produce myself. I think that it is a struggle as a young leader to want to commend yourself. I think that this flows from a desire for approval. Paul very clearly says, it is the one the Lord commends who will receive approval. Questions to ponder: what would it look like for me to boast in the Lord today? What things has God done through my life that I need to keep quiet about? What insecurities in my heart manifest themselves as pride and hinder my love for God? How can I honor others and praise God as he moves in and around my life and ministry?