Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Under Promise, Over Deliver

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to over promise and under deliver. I find myself fighting the temptation to make lofty promises that I can't fulfill. This happens for a number of reasons. At times I over estimate my ability to fulfill a promise and there have also been instances when I wanted to impress someone else. I've noticed that every time I over promise and under deliver I loose credibility in a persons eyes. On the flip side, every time I under promise and over deliver I gain credibility in people's eyes. We are trying to create a culture at South Bay where we keep our word. When we tell someone we will do something, we do it. Our word is our bond. Our yes is our yes and our no is our no. I want to be honest with people when I can't fulfill a commitment and I want to learn to have a proper estimation of what I can reasonably accomplish. This must be true for compensation, deadlines, prayers, and any other commitment we make. Who have you over promised to recently? Watch your words and become a person who fulfills their commitments. Watch people begin to trust you and rely on you at a whole different level.