Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Easy Pill

Do you ever wish you could just swallow a pill to make life a little easier? I'm going to be honest... I do. At times I wish I could swallow a pill and make parenting two young boys a little bit less challenging. I wish I could swallow a pill and all of a sudden become the husband God has made me to be. I'd love to snap my fingers and immediately be the leader that I will one day become. There are moments when I wish I could swallow a pill and make my current challenges and struggles go away, but then I read the bible and I realize... that's pretty stupid!

I ran across this verse in my bible reading time this morning.

Proverbs 12:11, "He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgement."

In other works, there is no easy pill or short cut to a fruitful life. Abundance and effectiveness involves working the difficult soil of our lives, planting seeds that are worth harvesting, praying for rain, plucking out the weeds that cut away at health, waiting for the fruit and then walking through the difficult work of harvesting.

This principle holds true for every area of our lives... marriage, parenting, relationship with God, our career, ministry, and friendships.

When we chase the easy pill we end up making all kinds of dumb decisions. Don't get me wrong... I'm not advocating un-neccessary work. That is just as foolish as chasing fantasies. We must work with wisdom and efficiency, but we must realize there is no short cut to success in fruitfulness in any other area of life or ministry. Water, plant, work, pray, and harvest. Be diligent in these matters and you will have fruit. Swallow the easy pill and you will suffer the consequences.

What "fields" has God called you to work today? Are you sowing seeds of forgiveness or seeds of bitterness in your relationships? Are you investing time and energy into the life of your kids and spouse or are you expecting someone to nurture them to vitality? Are you working faithfully when you clock in, or are checking facebook half of the working day? Pastors are you sowing seeds to reach beyond the walls of your church or are you looking for that next fad you can ride?

Spit out the easy pill and work your fields.