Friday, August 1, 2008

An area of growth for me

I have several mentors and coaches who I meet with on the phone to help me become a better husband and father and a better leader. Steve Stroope from Lake Pointe church is currently one of my primary mentors and Carl Martin from Crosspoint Church is currently a growth coach. Before each of my appointments with Steve I send about 2-3 pages of questions to walk through and in the coaching context with Carl I send him a S.M.A.R.T. (specific measurable attainable realistic and timebound) goal that I would like to work on. The point of a coaching relationship is to move toward action and coming up with very specific action steps. So for this most recent appointment with Carl I worked on a goal of: By September 1, 2008 I will weigh 190 lbs. Currently I weigh 194 lbs. I have set 190 lbs as a weight that I don't want to be higher than and so this goal with provide some context for getting back to or below my goal weight.

So here were my action steps:
1. I will create an excel template and write down my foods between now and my next appointment.
2. I will scale back from 7 desserts a week to 1 dessert a week.
3. I will run for 40 minutes 5x per week and do 200 push ups 5 days per week.
4. I will eat salads when I eat out at.

This may seem funny or weird to you, but it is a little insight into how I think and how I am motivated. Some of these action steps I am already doing like working out. This is just a way for me to take it to the next level and make sure I am honoring God with how I take care of myself physically.