Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What makes a person successful?

This past weekend I had the opportunity to speak at Crossroads Church in Fremont. (one of South Bay's sponsor churches) I was given the title for the message, "Stolen by Success." I really started asking the question, "What truly makes a person successful?" It seems as though a whole message series could be done on this one question alone. It is a very strong question living in the Silicon Valley. The SV is probably one of the "most successful" places in the world. At the end of my reflection and preparation I came to this conclusion... success begins when I say yes to God. It seems really simple and trite. Ultimately there are so many things that are out of my control in life. Exactly how fast our church grows, how many people come through our doors, how much money I make, etc... You fill in the blank for your life. But the list goes on of what is out of my jurisdiction. Don't get me wrong, I definitely can have influence on those things, but God truly 100% controls the outcome. My commission is to be 100% obedient and faithful to what he has called us to as a church. I have to stay fully focused on the vision and direction God wants our church to go. I must reorganize my strategy to focus on what I can do to be faithful. What things are under my responsibility? How I treat my wife and son, how hard I work, how faithful and focused I am with the 50-60 hours a week that I work, how I treat our staff and lead them, how I handle our personal finances, how I eat (tough one for me), how often I workout, my schedule for rest and recovery... When I start to focus on what I have jurisdiction over the pressure truly is off but the responsibility is on. It gives me great peace, but also great challenge to know that God is the one to whom I must give an account. I cannot spin my wheels chasing this illusive image of what others define as successful. At the end of the day and the end of my life if I hear "well done good and faithful servant" from the mouth of God, I am successful! Success ultimately begins in my obedience and faithfulness to God!