Saturday, March 26, 2011

Assign Responsibility!

"Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall." Psalm 55:22

Recently I was feeling very overwhelmed by several ensuing problems and challenges. The more I thought about these problems the more I became stressed out. I thought through solutions and scenarios of how to solve the problem and I was hitting my head against a wall. The more I thought about the problem the more I realized I was not going to be able to solve it in my human strength. These were problems that only God could solve. Everyone of us faces problems that seem insurmountable... a marriage that is hanging by a thread, a child that is unresponsive to our love, a burden financially, a job that is sucking the life out of us. Often times in the middle of a crisis the solution is illusive. Sure we can keeping taking steps in the right direction, but only God is going to make it work and bring the solution.

That's when I came across this verse above. Give your burdens to the Lord. In essence, assign responsibility to God for your problems. I was thinking about it like this... After our weekly staff meeting for South Bay Church everyone on the team walks away with a set of tasks to be accomplished in the following week. They are assigned responsibility. I feel a sense of relief when I know a responsibility is placed into the hands of a competent staff member, I no longer have to worry about the task getting done or the problem getting cared for.

I thought, what if I make my morning time alone with God more like a staff meeting and assign the responsibility of these problems to Him. I will write out a list of what I can take responsibility for, the things I can do that day to get the ball down the field and then I will assign responsibility to God for what only He can do.

My stress goes down and my confidence goes up and He carries the weight! I know it's easier said than done, but this little practice and prayer is helping me a ton!