Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wisdom and Courage

Joshua 1:6-9 says "Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed.

Success requires both wisdom and courage. Notice how Joshua is challenged to study the book of the law so that he could have wisdom in regards to the truth. At the same time God challenges him to have courage and obey what He knows to be true. Moving forward in marriage, in ministry, physically, spiritually, emotionally and in every other area of life requires both wisdom and courage. Wisdom is knowing the right decision, but courage is having the "balls" to go for it. I've noticed that people tend to camp on one side or the other. I see a lot of younger leaders who have courage to go for it in life, but lack the necessary wisdom. I see others who have been around the block for many years and know why a plan won't work and all the holes in your strategy. Yet, when it comes to courage... They lack the willingness to take the risk. I'm challenged a ton recently that going to the next level in my life, in my ministry and in my family is going to require the wisdom to find the right strategy and procedure, but also the courage to keep leaping forward in faith. May God grant us both wisdom and courage! May we stick close to God's commandments and principles so that the path is clear and may we stay close to God's Spirit so that we are filled with courage to follow His wisdom! That's my prayer.

PS, this is why I think cross generational relationships are so essential in life. The maturing generation has so much wisdom to offer, the emerging generation has so much courage to bring to the table.