Thursday, September 18, 2008

Your Best Isn't Good Enough

You may remember when you were a little kid a teacher or parent may have said, "Just do your best, that's all you can do." Then as we go along in life we tend to use this old phrase as an excuse. "I did my best, and that's all I can do." Lately I've been thinking about the fact that there are times in life when your best effort just doesn't cut it. All your skills, talents, hard work and resources just aren't enough to get the job done. Lately, I've felt like this in the journey of starting a church. I think this is such a beautiful place to be. The truth is, when my best is not good enough I am forced to new levels of dependance upon God. When my best doesn't get the job done my prayer life grows, my willingness to ask others for help increases and things happen that would have never happened because I learn to stop relying on myself and start relying on God and the team around me. I think alot of the time we live in the safety zone where our best can get the job done and cower from the unknown where our best just isn't good enough. Maybe God wants you to see that you don't have what it takes... without his help! When our perspective and heart changes to realize our need, the resources to build his kingdom are right at our fingertips and more than we could ever ask for or imagine!!