Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Wrong Question

Matthew 12:10, "looking for a reason to accuse Jesus they asked him, 'Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?' He said to them, 'If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? how much more valuable is a man than a sheep? Therefore is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

I find this question puzzling... They were asking Jesus the wrong question... "Is it lawful" It never ceases to amaze me how much questions reveal about a person and their heart. I have often been known for my overwhelming number of questions. I've noticed even how my questions change over the years and I feel like I can tell so much about my heart based upon the questions I am asking at the time. I love to read back through my journal and see the questions I ask of God or my notes from mentoring appointments. I will look at specific questions and the answers those questions brought into my life. One insight I received from this example from the bible is this, when you ask the wrong question you get the wrong answers. If the Pharisees were asking the right question they would have asked Jesus, "is this pleasing to God? does this act display love to this person?" Instead they revealed their arrogance and questioned the heart of the King of the Universe. I hope that my questions to God and others display a heart of humility and a hunger to grow. I pray that my questions help people love God more and then in turn bring me to wise conclusions and outcomes of life. Throughout the course of the day today, think about your questions. What do they reveal about you? Try and see what you discover. Ask God to help you become a great question asker. If you don't ask any questions and only do the talking you might have something else worth considering. Why don't you ask any questions? ;-)