Thursday, October 23, 2008

What song are you singing?

Every night when we put Caedmon to sleep we sing an old song called, "Jesus loves me." It was really funny to Stacie and me when he began to sing this song all throughout the day. He says, "Jesus loves me, I know, Bible, I know" and that is about all he can get. I love the fact that that song is stuck in his head. It is funny how the songs in our heads shape the song of our lives. Sometimes we rehearse and rehearse negative thoughts over and over and over in our heads until it can't help but rob our joy and peace. In addition, I believe that lyrics are very subtle the way they work. For example you may have heard the popular song sung by a young girl that says, "I kissed a girl and I liked it." It is a song that is influencing and changing the way people think. You and I have to allow our thoughts to be framed and re-framed by what is true and what is noble and what is good. There is a verse in Romans that says, "We must be transformed by the renewing of your mind." When we allow the truth of the scriptures to shape our thinking it radically alters your life. the song in your head becomes the song of your life. make sure you are singing the right song!